Thursday 21 October 2010

Beauty and happiness.

Sometimes beauty can be found at the most unlikely time. The same could be said for happiness.

After dropping the children at school, I decided to take a short drive past the lake. I almost crashed at the wonderful sight of the mist rising from the lake surface. I parked the car and grabbed my camera.


I fell wonderfully in love with these darling little coots. They aren't much smaller than my hens and are birds that I've so often overlooked. Up close though, they are lovely. Their beaks have the faintest tinge of pink and their legs are an amazing green/gold colour. They aren't just plain black either, their colours are varying shades of grey to black. As I sat very still, they moved around me with a boldness I've never witnessed before rather than the shy and scurrying birds they seem to be.


As I walked around the lake a deep stillness settled within my chest.


I think it was happiness.


It was most certainly peace.

6 comments:

Dragonfly Dreams said...

Peace and happiness you so much deserve! Beautiful photo essay!

Eliza said...

Beautiful photos :-)

Simone said...

The photos are beautiful. I can almost feel the peace and tranquility you speak of. I am glad you found happiness at the lake with the mist rising and the coots involved with their daily activities.x

Bovey Belle said...

What a peaceful place. I am glad you were able to enjoy it and feel at peace yourself.

salty pebble said...

nature is full of things to make us feel happiness- soooo stunning that lake must have been to your eyes...such a retreat ;0)xxx

x beautiful x

Yarrow said...

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving lovely comments, dear friends. You all cheer me up so much, and next time I visit the lake, I'm wearing a warm hat :D